Discussing divorce with your children is difficult. Where do you begin? How do you tell your kids mommy and daddy are splitting up? Questions of why, how, and what happens next will flood their minds, the situation is highly stressful, incredibly unpleasant, and is likely to leave a child upset.
But the situation is not hopeless, there is something you can do, besides reconsider your divorce of course, and that is to reconsider how you present the situation to your child or children. There’s no need to make divorce a dramatic disastrous affair, it can be a much more straightforward one.
The following tips can help both the child and parents with the challenge and stress inevitably resulting in most divorce related conversations:
Tips For Talking About Divorce With Children
– Do not keep it a secret or wait until the last minute.
– Tell your child together with your spouse.
– Keep things simple and straight-forward.
– Tell them the divorce is not their fault.
– Admit that this will be sad and upsetting for everyone.
– Reassure your child that you both still love them and will always be their parents.
– Do not discuss each other’s faults or problems with the child.
Residents of Harris County can contact Houston divorce attorney Bradley Tilton for a free consultation regarding their family law issue, and get an idea of how to handle their circumstances and what process is ahead.